Sunday, November 21, 2010

Blog Assignment 13

alex - Alabama Learning Echange in white in a blue background with a square symbol with multicolored shapes inside of it

 What is ALEX? Well, when I began this blog assignment, I had no idea. ALEX stands for Alabama Learning Exchange. Alabama Learning Exchange is a communal database of lesson plans created and posted by teachers. The database is searchable by traditional subject areas as well as 21st century areas that include technology education, and information literacy.On the ALEX homepage you will find Courses of Study, Web Links, Search,  Lesson Plans, Professional Learning, Podcast Treasury, and ALEXville.

Once you click on one of the topics mentioned in the first paragraph you will find a world of valuable resources for teachers. Courses of Study, is of course, just that. The courses of study found on ALEX are: English Language Arts, Mathematics, Arts Education, Career/Technical Education, Driver and Traffic Safety Education, Health Education, Science, Social Studies, Languages Other Than English (foreign languages), Physical Education, Technology Education, and Other Courses of Study (which contains Character Education, Counseling and Guidance, and Information Literacy).  In the Web Links section you can find Teacher Links, Student Links, Administrator Links and many more. ALEX contains a large database of podcasts submitted by teachers that can be found under the Podcast Treasury section. You can explore ALEX for yourself and see all of the resources available by going to http://alex.state.al.us/index.php.


I think that I will find ALEX useful in my future teaching career. I think it is a great site and and excellent tool for teachers. I'm sure I will use the Lesson Plans section quite a bit, especially in the early years of my career. As I mentioned earlier, before beginning this assignment I didn't know what ALEX was. Now, I am thrilled that I have this resource to help me be a better teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment