Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?
I definitely think that if learners are motivated they can teach themselves. If there is something you really want to learn and have you have motivation to learn that then you're gonna do it.
2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?
Of course, and Sugata Mitra totally proved that in this video.
3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself?
Technology greatly improves children as well as adult's ability to teach themselves, but honestly I believe that where there is a will there is a way. Motivation is truly the only thing needed to learn.

4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process?

Computers and internet make teaching ourselves easier because there is endless information to be found on the internet. There is google, as well as podcasts and many other wys to find information as well as instructions for almost anything.

5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn?

Motivation plays the biggest role. If a person is not motivated he or she is not going to learn very much because they have no interest. It is human nature to not put forth much effort in things we are not interested in, we all do it.
6. What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?
Well to learn you must ask questions. So giving a child a question, or multiple questions and having them figure out definitely makes them have to be deep thinkers and find ways to solve the problem, therefore gaining knowledge in the process of looking up information to solve the problems.
7. How do you motivate someone to learn?
Well I am currently a preschool teacher and most four year olds aren't terribly interested in learning. When we first started working on the sounds of the letters, I read a book to them and asked them wouldn't it be cool if you read this book? They all said yes, and we talked about how great it would be to read books and signs and menus and all kind of things. The fact that I was excited and I made what appeared to be boring schoolwork exciting to them, they were motivated to learn.
8. How are you motivated to learn?
Well being a college student I have plenty of motivation to learn. I have to work full time and go to school full time as well, that is my main source of motivation. I am always exhausted and never have time to do anything. I want to learn my material so I can pass my classes and graduate.
9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn learn?
I honestly don't believe that they can. They may pick up a few tidbits here and there but they more than likely will not retain it.
10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why?
Well I teach myself daily. When I go into work I face twelve four year olds. The situations that arise with those kids are things I haven't faced. I have to teach myself how to keep their attention and how to keep my classroom calm when I have a wild child running around. And then there are times when I've had kids talk about personal situations at home or a couple of times I've had kids get hurt, those were new things to me and I had to teach myself how to handle those situations. I also teach myself a lot in EDM310. Most of the things I do for this class are things I have never done and most of the time never even heard of.
11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?
I have this one teacher who always gives us interesting handouts. He teaches a rather boring subject but I haven't gotten anything less than an A in his class because of his handouts. He makes it interesting.
12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?
Children can teach themselves. That is the main thing I am taking away from this video. They need some sort of instruction and some encouragement but they are much more capable of learning and teaching themselves than most people realize.
13. What other questions or issues are raised by this video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers?
As an inspiring teacher I think I will definitely look into doing a lot of group projects. I also think that maybe we should look at maybe stepping away a bit, giving the children some space to learn on their own. Maybe not always giving step by step instructions but having them find things on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment